Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sump

The filtration I have isn't right for my application in my opinion. It's too small for a skimmer to fit in and I want to have a deep sand bed (DSB) with some macro algae (probably a Caulerpa.)

Upon pricing new sumps, I was amazed at the cost so I was looking into building one. Melevsreef.com seemed to cover the topic most thoroughly.

I made some phone calls and found that acrylic was going to cost me about $270 for a 4'x8' sheet. Then I'd need tools and materials. The sump is starting to be a bigger undertaking than I anticipated.

On a routine trip to PetSmart, I decided to see if they have any smaller aquariums I could retrofit. I was overjoyed to see a 30 gallon tank that was narrow enough to fit. I am now the proud owner of a glass, 30 gallon (30"l x 12"w x 18"h) Aquarium made by All-Glass. It's sold under their Top Fin brand with a hood and NO light fixture. I figured that light would be good for the algae I plan to grow. I've got some aquarium silicone adhesive and I'll get some pieces of glass cut to size by my local glass shop. They'll smooth and polish the sides for me too.

No comments: